Aviation for Girls


Aviation for Girls is a special annual member publication of Women in Aviation International for Girls in Aviation Day. Articles feature young girls living their aviation dreams, career ideas, and education resources.

Issue link: https://afgdigital.epubxp.com/i/742269

Contents of this Issue


Page 32 of 35

AVIATION FOR Girls 2015 31 The Exam You have 60 days to complete your medical exam before your application will expire. If you have any questions regarding past medical conditions or what records you need to bring with you, it is a good idea to discuss this with your AME pri- or to showing up for your exam. Certain conditions, such as migraines and hypothyroidism, can be cleared by your AME, but you would need to provide a current status report and labs at your exam in order for your AME to be able to issue your medical certifcate. You can review your portion of the FAA 8500-8 with the AME, and if there are any errors or clar- ifcations, she or he can make changes to this section. The AME will complete the examination portion to include uri- nalysis, eye, and hearing tests. If you have a color vision problem, there are several tests that you can take ahead of time. If you can pass any one of these tests, it will be acceptable. A list is available on the FAA website. If you cannot pass any of the listed tests, it is pos- sible to take an operational color vision test as well. Then, if you have no disqualifying conditions, the AME can issue your medical certifcate at the appointment. Deferred Status If the AME submits the application without issuing the medi- cal certifcate, it will be considered a "deferred" status, and your medical certificate will come from Oklahoma City or your regional fight surgeon after they review your applica- tion and any records that are submitted. They may ask for additional information. It can take a few weeks, or up to a few months, to get your medical certifcate if it is deferred by your AME. It is good to keep in mind that the AME has two weeks to hold your ap- plication before she or he is required to submit. If it is just a matter of getting a lab test or providing some records, ask your AME to hold the exam, and hopefully she or he can still issue your certifcate once you provide this information. In general, the process of getting your frst FAA medical cer- tifcate is straightforward if you are healthy and do not have any signifcant medical history. However, if you have a com- plicated history, it could pay to discuss your case with a pilot advocacy group such as my organization, Aviation Medicine Advisory Group. They can answer questions and possibly streamline the process to assure your best chance at success- fully getting your certifcate. Further information can be found at www.AviationMedicine.com or www.FAA.gov. ✈ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Dr. Paula Corrigan, WAI 51101, is an aeromedical advisor for Aviation Medicine Advisory Service, www.AviationMedicine. com. She is board certifed in aerospace medicine, preventive medicine, and internal medicine. I can't start training yet, what else can I do? M o de l a i r pl a ne s a r e a common way to get started. They encourage interest in aviation and teach patience a nd how to fol low d i rec- tions—two skills all pilots need. Also, check to see if there is an aviation club at your school or if you could sta r t one. You cou ld a lso contact your local airport and airport businesses to see if your club could come for tours. And be sure to see if there is a WAI chapter in your area you can join or partner with! There's nothing that says you couldn't get hold of aviation books and start learning early! I frst read the Jeppesen Pri- vate Pilot textbook in a tree house. Call out to the local airport and see if there is a Certifed Flight Instructor who would be willing to let you job shadow her for a day. It's fun to sit in the back of the airplane while someone else gets a lesson, and it will show you what it's like to both take fying lessons and to administer them. If you don't know a local pilot personally, it's a good idea to look up the local airport and give them a call to fnd out more about the fight schools there. Talk to their instructors and fnd one you like. AOPA also offers a database of fight instructors listed in their Flight Training Instructor Program to help you start your search. Visit http://FlightTraining.AOPA.org/learnto- fy/school/cf_search/ to get you started. How long will fight training take? The regulations require a pilot candidate to have at least 40 hours of fight experience before they are eligible to take the checkride. Most people have a little more than that. The vari- ation depends on aptitude and how much you apply yourself. If you can, try to fy at least three times per week. How much will training cost? The cost of a private pilot certificate usually runs from $5,000 to $8,000. The cost of the airplane rental and instruc- tion varies geographically, and you need to shop around to get the best deal. Look for hidden fees like club memberships and fuel surcharges because these can add to the cost. Les- sons are typically pay as you go, however, so you don't need to have all the money saved up to start. Do I need to take ground school frst? You can start fying before you take ground school. Many people fnd it benefcial to fy and take ground school at the same time, because the concepts they are learning in ground school are reinforced in the airplane. ✈ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Meg Godlewski, WAI 8165, is a Master CFI and active fight in- structor in Washington state. A S K T H E C F I M E G G O D L E W S K I (continued from Page 30)

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Aviation for Girls - 2015